Friday, January 25, 2013

The FUTURE 0_0 More or less...

Highlighted part = Term stolen from Kelsey Gulick. Awesome ~ Check out her blog!!!! Link at bottom.

    I noticed this month, that I focus a lot on the future. In my free time, I tend to research different colleges, majors, and careers. I like to find out as much as possible and then try to plan out a million ways my future could go. It is good to plan ahead and to know what I want, but this "future-oriented" point of view can also cause me some problems. One obstacle I’ve run into lately is focusing so much on the future that I totally forget about what is happening in the present. I find it ironic that I put off doing a math assignment by researching college. I forget that if I don’t finish my math assignments, I am not going to get to college. I need to learn to use my future view to encourage myself. If I learn to do my work with the back of my mind focused on college, and a career and where all this hard work is going to get me. I think it could really help me to do what I need to do now, so that I can do what I want later. This isn’t just true for me. Everyone can use this tactic. Next time you get stressed out about school, or anything for that matter, just think about where your actions will get you. If you play instead of study, you aren’t going to be able to get into a good college. Think about the consequences of your actions. I think we all need a little bit more of this in our life.

    A good thing this future focused view has given me is a dream. It gave me a dream in the way it gives all future focused people, but it also specifically gave me, personally, an idea. As I mentioned in the before paragraph, I like to research colleges, careers, and majors. As I researched, thinking about myself in each position, I came across the career of “School Guidance Counselor.” I looked into this and I realized that this is a perfect job for me. I talked to my school’s guidance counselor and I like it even more. An academic guidance counselor helps a child form a plan for their future. That is exactly what I want to do. I want to help children and give them a good future. It is also AWESOME because years later I can see the fruit of my work. The guidance counselor that I talked to said she gets calls from her students years later and they thank her for her help and tell her that they got a career, and are having a good life. I can imagine that that is a wonderful feeling.

http://justsimplyunique.blogspot.kr/

2 comments:

  1. YES! I look up colleges and majors all the time. And I'll start freaking out, then realize that nothing I'm doing is getting me there. It's such a great motivator. I have to get good grades. I have to pass this exam. If I want to get somewhere, I'm going to have to work for it. And that's okay. The future could very well be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! You totally got what I was saying!!!! :3 We are similar in this. ^.^ ^.^ ^.^

      Delete